Waimahia Inlet - Auckland
The Waimahia Inlet development lies in a beautiful coastal setting with parks and landscaped reserves facing the Manukau Harbour on the Weymouth Peninsula.
This development has been undertaken through the formation of a partnership between the Tamaki Collective, The Maori Trustee, CORT Community Housing and The Housing Foundation. These not-for-profit organisations are dedicated to providing affordable housing for families in this great location.
The objective was to build a new community of affordable homes, primarily for first home buyers, using the assisted ownership financial products offered by the development partners such as shared home ownership, rent to buy, home saver, and community rental products. The partners appreciated some financial support from the Crown to achieve these objectives.
Close to 100% of all the homes were sold as “affordable”, with 70% assisted affordable and 30% sold to the private market. Construction began in 2014 and at the end of 2017 we have 280 of the total 295 homes now completed. Final completion, including construction of kaumatua housing and a Community Centre / Early Childhood Centre, will be achieved by mid 2018.
Each home has been architecturally designed to be warm and energy efficient and has been built by experienced registered builders to a high standard while still providing an affordable first home.
The Development partnership ensured that over 25% of the developed land was placed into reserves and parks. In addition, we have been responsible for constructing two children’s playgrounds and an adult fitness trail which add considerably to the amenity of the area. Auckland Council has funded a playground on the stormwater reserve.
Waimahia Inlet has an active Residents' Association that has a major focus on community development activities and also has a role to see that the physical environment of the development continues to be well maintained. There is a strong network of Neighbourhood Support groups in every street which helps to ensure that residents are safety conscious and become part of a well-connected community.
The Housing Foundation has a number of upcoming projects, so while the opportunity to be part of the Waimahia community has closed, you may be eligible to apply for one of our future projects. Gauge your eligibility and check the preliminary criteria via this website. We welcome your registration of interest.
Who can apply for New Zealand Housing Foundation's Affordable Housing Programmes in Waimahia Inlet, Auckland?
As we near the final stages of development, we have limited types of houses available. We are looking for eligible families for our Affordable Equity programme.
Criteria and considerations based on the houses available at this time:
- You are committed to owning your own home
- At least one member of the household must be in full time employment
- You need to have permanent NZ citizenship or residency (which is also a condition of the mortgage lending terms of our banks)
- You are not a current homeowner in New Zealand or overseas (i.e.: you are a first home buyer)
- Your total household gross income (before tax) is between $75,000 - $95,000 per year
- Total household debt is less than $5,000
- A minimum deposit of $10,000 is required; your Kiwisaver can be included in your deposit, subject to the terms and conditions of your Kiwisaver provider
- You live and/or work in or near the local area
- Your household is made up of 4 or more persons
- Number of cars the household has that matches the available parking.
For more information, contact us:
Phone 0800 WAIMAHIA (0800 924 62442)
PO Box 44018
Photo: Waimahia Inlet, Feb 2016 click on the image to go to the image gallery for Waimahia Inlet, Auckland.